24 September 2016

Mount Skatutakee - Harriiskat Trail





Maps, Elevations & Summary

Distance:  3.6 miles
Maximum Elevation: 1,998 ft.
Cumulative elevation gain: 810 ft.
Total Time: 3.3 hrs.


TRAIL REPORT

Beautiful day with the temperatures in the 60's. Arrived as parked at the Harris Conservation Center at 8 a.m. and was the only car in the lot.  I did manage to flush a large flock of turkeys who moved into the open field adjacent the lot.


After checking the kiosk, I started up the Harriskat trail which is marked by white bars.  Since it had rained most of the previous day, the trail was wet and in the dark hemlock forest, everything seemed overgrown by either ferns or moss.  For this reason, the granite rocks in the trail were especially slippery.


The trail was pretty clearly marked and wound around some large boulders, maintaining a pretty level elevation.  After about 0.5 miles, the trail intersects the Thumbs Down trail from the summit of Thumb Mountain and takes a left jog and begins it's climb.


About 0.1 mile beyond the Thumbs Down trail junction, the trail crossed a old stone wall which runs across the mountain slope.  The climb is over about 0.3 miles and very constant with no level stretches>  However, the angle of climb was never very steep due to the many switchbacks on the trail.  Just before reaching the top of the first climb, the trail passes over another stone wall and runs parallel to it for a short time.


The trail becomes much less steep at 1700 feet of elevation as it climbs just below a ridge line for another 0.2 miles.  The forest here was mostly pines and walking was easy on the pine needle padded trail.  Finally the trail starts up again in its second and final climb to the summit.  I climbed about 300 feet over 0.2 miles.  Just below the summit, the trail went over some moss covered grant slabs.  As I climbed up one, I lost my fitting and face-planted on the ledge, sliding backwards on my belly to the bottom of the ledge.  After finding my glasses and brushing off, I found an alternative path around the slippery ledge and finally arrived at the summit.

The summit is marked by a large cairn and the level, open clearing was warm in the bright sunshine.  I took off my pack for a rest.  The climb took about 1.5 hours at a very slow pace.



At one time this must have afforded some nice views but the trees are definitely growing and obscuring the views.  To the south you could see Mount Monadnock.



To the southeast were the peaks of the Wapack range.  North Pack Monadnock and Pack Monadnock were very prominent.


Through the trees, you could also see the Uncanoonuncs and Crotched Mountain.

After about 20 minutes, I geared up and started back down the way I had come.  Alternatively, I could have continued from the summit down the Thumbs Down trail to Thumb Mountain, which would have made a 5+ mile loop.  I intent to try this next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment