04 October 2015

Mt. Major - Boulder and Brook Trails

Maps, Elevations & Summary

Distance:  4.3
Maximum Elevation: 1,786 ft.
Cumulative elevation gain: 1,247 ft.
Total Time: 4.0 hrs.


TRAIL REPORT


Beautiful day for a hike......40 degrees and sunny when I hit the trailhead at 8 a.m.  I'm glad I started early; although there was plenty of parking at that hour, when I arrived back at noon, cars were parked 1/4 of a mille up and down route 111.

The map said that the direct ascent of the summit via the main Blue trail was very steep and much travelled so I decided to take the orange blazed Boulder trail which leaves the back left corner of the parking lot over a wooden bride.


The trail is wide and not particularly rocky as it gently climbs into the forest.  Very quickly, a road heads off to the left which is part of a skimobile trail in the winter but both signs and blazes make following the trail easy.

As the trail turns due south, it increases in steepness and passes through very nice hemlock groves.


As the trail name suggests, there were ever increasing large boulders on the trail, only at one pint did it actually require a crumble to get up.


The shapes were quite interesting.  At one point, there was a split boulder, that the trail went through. I had my doubts as to whether I'd fit, but managed, pack and all.


After a good 1/2 mile of relentless and fairly steep climbing, the trail turned due west and looking up, I saw that the final 200 feet to the summit was up a rock slide that was very steep indeed.  


I did consider turning back, but decided to try anyway.  I found that there were a number of good foothold if I kept to the extreme left side of the slide.  I just took my time, step by step and before I knew it, was standing in the sunshine on a granite slab with a wonderful view of Lake Winnipesaukee.


Although the hardest part of the climb was over, the trail still continued on solid rock ledges for another 0.3 miles.  There were a number of fine overlooks of the lake to the east, through stunted pine trees.


As the trail climbed, it passed by a water filled marsh, which was the first I had seen on the top of suck a rocky summit.  Finally, the summit was reached with beautiful panoramic views to every direction.  Looking northeast up the lake, you could make out the white buildings of Wolfeboro on the far shore.



To the east, you could make out Mt. Bet and Moose Mountain in the distance.



Of course, the best views were toward the north where the White mountains could be seen on this clear day,  The Tripyramids were in view and even the peak of Mt. Washington could be seen, peaking over the ridge line of Mt. Shaw, about 50 miles to the north.


There were about 6 or 7 people at the summit, some huddled in the ruins of an old stone house, keeping out of the cold wind which made the top quite blustery.  I donned a fleece and hat and asked for someone to snap a picture of me at the summit.  You can just barely see Mt. Washington over my right shoulder.


Finally, after some nuts and a pear and a good bit of water, it was time to head back down.  I chose to take the Brook Trail which left the summit to the west, toward a nice view of Straigtback Mtn.  It was blazed in both blue and yellow and slowly but steadily made its way down, below the tree line.  Once there and out of the wind, I started sweating again and stripped back down to my base layer shirt for the rest of the descent.

The trail was not nearly as steep nor as boulder strewn as the way up and I passed a number of folks making their way up the mountain after a later start.  After about 0.25 miles, the blue blazed trail heads off to the left and I followed the yellow blazed trail down the mountain.  Eventually, the trail parallels a brooks which it crosses twice.  It was running quite well with the recent rains.



About 1/2 mile before the parking area, the trail intersects the blue main trail.  At this point, the trail is very footwork and heavily eroded wo watch your footing as you hike down very rounded, softball size rocks that make for uneven footing.  Finally, the parking area and time to start back home.  With numerous stops for pictures and summit views, the whole excursion too 4 hours.









No comments:

Post a Comment