28 July 2015

Hiking Gear

Since I primarily solo hike, I tend to take extra gear along, even on a half day hike, to allow an extended stay outdoors in the event of illness or accident.

Clothing


I have found that since I enjoy early morning departures, there is usually enough morning dew that I'm pretty wet even when the weather is nice.  For that reason I never wear cotton or dungarees when hiking.  I have a number of nylon long-slevved hiking shirts whose sleeves I can roll up once the temps climb later in the day.  They are 100% nylon with a vented back and wick away moisture for quick drying.  I choose the same nylon for my pants which are convertibles, long pants with zip off bottoms to convert them into shorts when temps start to soar.  I found Cabela's Great Trail pants were a good value when on sale with plenty of large cargo pockets and a side zipper on the lower lags, so they can be pulled over my hiking boots without removing my footwear when convertu=ing to shorts.

Speaking of footwear, my favorite hiking shoe is the Merrell Moab Mid boot which gives me the ankle support I need.  It is a light boot and the gore tex inner liner keeps my feet nice and dry.  Even wading through streams I find these dry out very quickly back on the trail.

I always carry extra dry socks, a woolen cap and synthetic fleece in a dry sack, even when the weather is warm.  Even on the warmest days, night times can get cold in the white mountains, especially once autumn rolls around.  Finally, I keep two pieced of rain gear, first, a nylon waterproof shell which I can use by itself or with the fleece.  It is well vented and lightweight.  I also carry a rainproof cover for my pack, to keep in at least partially dry in a driving rain.

Backpack


I have used a Kelty Redwing 2650 for years but found I'm starting to get some back pain, especially between the shoulders.  I was told that Kelty started adding load lifting straps to their larger daypacks for added comfort so I decided to look at a more conformal pack.  Kelty made a similar 44 liter pack, but not with a large belt size so I moved up to the Kelty Redwing 50.


This pack is great.  There are nice pass through side containers to stow hiking poles and enough room for a weekend overnight hike requiring tent and sleeping bag.  At the same time, it's compression straps allow for a nice compact profile with the smaller loads on a day hike.  So far, I have loved the adjustability of the Redwing 50 and it is proving to be a very comfortable pack.  Typically, I carry 20 lbs. even, including almost 7 lbs. (3 liters) of water in the hydration pack.  I include the Ten Essentials, recommended for solo hiking:


1. Navigation
I carry a topi map and Silva ranger compass for basic land navigation.  I also have a Garmin 64s GPS for electronic navigation and tracking.  Spare batteries for the GPS and a spare power pack for the cell phone.


2. Sun protection

Typically, I use a visored hiking cap as well as polarized sunglasses.


3. Insulation

Even in warm weather, you never know how conditions will change, so I carry a fleece, dry socks and a woolen cap, all in a watertight sack.


4. Illuminatio
A headlamp is preferred for hands-free use.


5. First-aid supplies

A hiker's first aid kit.

6. Fire

A butane lighter.

7. Repair kit and tools

A Buck knife and a multi-tool as well as 25 ft. of paracord.

8. Nutrition

Food supply for the day and then some.

9. Hydration

3 liter hydration bladder

10. Emergency shelter

A reflective blanket.

I keep the smaller items in two waterproof pelican cases, which do add some weight.  I prefer the security of keeping these supplies in a waterproof enclosure.



Hiking Poles

I find a good set of hiking poles are great to provide balance, and especially to take load off the knees when hiking downhill over rocky terrain.  My favor are carbon composite  Komperdell  poles which are extremely light.  They break down to an amazingly small length, joined by shock core, yet the upper third can telescope for height adjustment.  


These are also equipped with a sharp carbide tip to prevent slipping on wet rock or roots.

No comments:

Post a Comment